Monday, March 17, 2014

Using vinegar around the house!

I can't tell you how happy I am with the vinegar and dawn mix that I use around the house. I use it constantly. I just scrubbed the top of one of the  wooden elements in my tiny kitchen. The area I scrubbed is used to make coffee, is on the edge of the space where the salt is situated and right next to the cooker. The whole whole space gets covered in grease, coffee and salt. It very quickly becomes a horrible mess, which one does not want to clean. That is a thing of the past in my kitchen because a quick spray of the dawn/vinegar mixture and a gently scrub with my micro fiber cloth soon erases the mess! All this is achieved without the noxious fumes associated with commercial cleaners. A friend recently complained that the smell of vinegar was objectionable and I pointed out that, while objectionable, at least it was not dangerous to the lungs and that the smell very soon dissipates leaving a nice, clean smelling atmosphere. Why do people object to the nice, earth friendly smell of vinegar and think nothing of gaily spraying noxious fumes all about their environment?
    The other household help I use regularly is borax! I tip a quarter of a cup or so of borax down my kitchen sink outlet, the bath outlet and into the wc every week. I live in an apartment building on the lower floor and was plagued regularly with a blockage of my kitchen sink, especially at the week end. Since I've been applying the Borax solution I've had no blockages!
In addition my wc looks and smells lovely and the bath runs freely. You can usually find Borax in the laundry soap section of your local super market. If it's not there ask to have it supplied. You can also add a quarter cup to your washing with water in the softener section of your washing machine. It makes your washing lovely and soft!
    Vinegar is a great helper about the house. If you have a silly, little, anxious pooch (as I have!) who sometimes pees or poops around the house you can use vinegar to spray on the area without fear of pollution. Leave it to sit for a few minutes then give it a good scrub. It will not only clean the area, but also eradicate the smell and eliminate any ecoli that may have been deposited.  You can also use the trusty dawn/vinegar solution if you feel the area needs a good cleaning!
     I'm using a vinegar/water solution at this moment to clean the base of a couple of frying pans. They're soaking in the sink as I write and will be ready soon for a scrubbing and sprucing of their bases. Yes, you may have to spray on some dawn/vinegar solution and take some time and elbow grease to clean them, if you're as lazy as I am about this task, but you will be happy with the finished product - and you will not have polluted the earth or the air!!
    Please don't imagine that I have shares or any other interest in Dawn! It is simply the most grease cutting and gentle dish washing solution available. It is always used on those poor animals that get covered in oil after some disaster. It cuts through the oil on feathers and fur without being aggressive on the poor critters skin. You can even use it to wash your hair! The same is true of Borax: it is strong, but gentle, as is vinegar. Of course the chemical companies will not say this and they will tell you that these other solutions are much too weak to suit your needs! You may find they are quicker, because they are so much more aggressive, but a little, patient soaking makes all the difference and you will not have damaged our environment by adjusting to this method of cleaning. You will also have taught yourself patience and healed your spirit a little by walking away and waiting until later to achieve your ends.   

No comments:

Post a Comment